Resp & Qualifications
Join the revolution in health care IT.
We are seeking a driven, outstanding, and results-oriented software development leader to join our Claims Product Delivery organization.
We’re the FEP Operations Center, helping our BlueCross BlueShield affiliates from around the country service their Federal Employee Program members and their families. We’re working on “the big picture”, the future of health care claims processing, and what we do touches the lives of millions of people every day.
Are you an experienced Manager of Software Engineering who wants to be a key transformation champion and change agent, leading a team of up to 20 accomplished Software Engineers, someone who enjoys the challenge of highly complex business contexts, and above all else, is passionate about building high performing teams and developing talent? We are looking for a leader who will contribute to our long series of impactful initiatives resulting in next-generation experiences for our Plans and Members. As a key leader within our Claims Product Delivery organization, you will be a major contributor in helping us plan and execute exciting cross-organization programs ranging from multiple platform claims process engineering, using API’s and Published Data Views, leveraging newer technologies to provide faster, cleaner, more accurate responses back to our Plans and members while mobilizing an internal drive to evolve into a leading-edge Agile, cloud-based enterprise as we maintain and eventually migrate off our legacy platforms.
At the FEP Operations Center at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, we offer a hybrid work environment where you will have the opportunity to influence the direction of health care claims processing. Working here means collaborating across teams, influencing change, and providing your technical, managerial and leadership experience and skills to help our organization evolve into being the high performing, agile, and upskilled group of people needed to take us to that next level. We are an equal opportunity employer and highly value diversity at the FEPOC. The FEP Operations Center at CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is the place for passionate, experienced Managers of Software Engineering who want to help others. Is that you?
You’ll be successful if you are currently and, in the past, have….
- Demonstrated a high level of ownership and insist on the highest standards of quality, maintainability, performance, availability, and customer service. You will thus bring deep technical and management expertise, and judgment to this position.
- Directly managed software engineering teams with a deep understanding of (Agile) engineering best practices and a strong focus on technology transformation, i.e., application modernization, data integration with API’s, cloud adoption, embed DevOps and CI/CD technologies for deploying and delivery of quality software, etc.
- Led efforts to transition an organization from being strictly waterfall to fully adopt the Agile (Scaling with Scrum and/or Kanban) mindset, best practices, and methodology
- Managed budgets, performed resource forecasting, measured performance using leading/lagging indicators, and provided various leadership and executive briefings
- Passionate about coaching and mentoring staff while creating a psychologically safer environment, so they are constantly improving themselves which includes giving them ample development opportunities for cross-training and to advance their own technical and professional careers
- Served as a channel of prioritization and point of escalation, and marshaled the appropriate resources to resolve urgent or high severity issues quickly and efficiently while minimizing the impact to customers
- Empowers a team of software engineers, business analysts, and scrum masters who may be matrixed into development teams to develop scalable software solutions that deliver business value. Provides best practices for analysis, design, software development and quality engineering activities toward the implementation of complete, end-to-end solutions. Work closely with third parties and stakeholders to manage risks and dependencies in order to deliver features across multiple projects and teams efficiently. Remove impediments associated with hand-off to external dependencies during execution. Coordinates the review of requirements with vendors, stakeholders and architects. Liaison to address any vendor specific blockers during execution. Define, develop and articulate different delivery and resource management methodologies of projects based on the stakeholder needs
- Develop staff through coaching, timely performance feedback, and assessments, and conflict management.. Establish performance and development plans. Ensure a constantly rising bar of technical excellence and professional growth. Manage, mentor, and coach to ensure continued growth and development to aid in achieving career goals.. Ensure team members understand individual commitments as well as team and company goals, helping the teams achieve Sprint completion and release dates. Ensures that the team(s) has the right skills and capability to deliver; addresses gaps through reskilling and/or hiring. Ensure retention of top talent and identify methods for keeping high performers engaged and growing
- Recommend and develop solutions which take into consideration costs, business needs, and organizational impacts. Works with cross functional teams to meet business objectives. Research and identify opportunities to expand the team’s capacity with lower cost development resources. Develop the business model for remote teams and recommend the vendor based on a suitable criteria. Ensure the local team understands the outsourcing strategy and their role with the remote teams to retain talent. Manage expenses to ensure effective use of capital and cash flow. Provide budget estimates and spending forecasts. Analyze past spend and account for discrepancies.
- Facilitates all aspects of software development from planning, testing, and quality assurance to implementation. Ensure adherence to IT best practices and the organization’s SDLC. Make appropriate team assignments and encourage the team to embrace processes that drive sustainable improvements. In conjunction with Product Management, help the team estimate features for release planning with a mindset of continuously improving estimation accuracy. Tack and report on team’s progress towards completion of assigned deliverables.
- Serve as a channel of prioritization, escalation,and marshal the appropriate resources to resolve urgent or high severity issues quickly and efficiently while minimizing the impact to customers. .
This position manages people.QUALIFICATIONSEducation Level
: Bachelor's Degree inComputer Science, Information Technology, or related field OR
inlieu of a bachelor’s degree, an additional 4 years of relevant work experience is required in addition to the required work experience.Experience
- 5 years Related professional experience
- At least 1 year of direct management experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Scrum Alliance Certified Enterprise Coach
- AWS certification (Cloud Practitioner or Solutions Architect)
- Ability to prioritize projects and allocate resources based on organizational goals
- Ability to establish relationships and credibility with software engineers
- Ability to cultivate a collaborative, high-performing team environment
- Understanding of distributed computing principles
- Collaborating on a cross-functional team to execute against a product road map
- Experience working with relational databases
- Select, monitor, coach, develop, and grow employees
- Support operations and business continuity
- Knowledge and experience with various delivery methodologies
- Experience in software development life cycle (SDLC) and delivery
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems
- Fundamental knowledge of software engineering best practices, agile methodologies, CI/CD pipelines
- Identifies technical risks and develops mitigation strategies; introduces and recommends industry best practices and standards for the project
- Evaluates and assists in the selection and procurement of hardware and software technologies and serves as a mentor for junior developers
- Works with stakeholders as well as technical and analytical counterparts to define constraints and develop requirements and concept of operations documentation
- Ensure code quality standards, deployment methodologies and practices
- Knowledge of code deployment architecture and methodology
- Reviewing the work of other developers and providing feedback
- Ability to communicate technical requirements to all levels of expertise
- Proficient in establishing and maintaining good working relationships
Minimal. When back in office, may have to travel between Reston and DC offices or to Baltimore area for CareFirst training and/or meetings but only when absolutely necessary.Department Department:Software EngineeringEqual Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of theCompany to provide equal employment opportunities to allqualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.Hire Range Disclaimer
Actual salary will be based on relevant job experience and work history.Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careersClosing Date Please apply before: 01.21.2022Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship