The University of Virginia Darden School of Business
, one of the world's leading business schools, seeks a Senior Data Scientist/Engineer
to join the
Office of Research Services (ORS) in a two year assignment. The role interfaces with the Strategic IT Data & Analytics unit, partnering with data architects and other IT professionals, to assist in carrying out the School's research mission. Reporting to the Director of ORS, this individual will design and build modern big data architectures in Azure to support faculty research, with an eye toward eventually launching a new faculty research-centered Darden Data Lab.
The Senior Data Scientist/Engineer will interface directly with the faculty to understand research needs, and make recommendations to senior leadership of ORS and Data & Analytics on strategic direction. This is a hands-on development role, and will be responsible for the creation, maintenance, scalability, performance, and reliability of various data models.This is a two year assignment with benefits. The Senior Data Scientist/Engineer may work either on-site in Charlottesville, VA or remotely.
- Lead the design, implementation and support of all Data Engineering related tasks for Darden faculty researchers;
- Design and implement data load processes from disparate data sources into Azure Data Lake, Azure Synapse;
- Migrate existing processes, datasets from on-premises SQL Server and other environments to Azure Synapse, Azure Data Lake in support of faculty research projects;
- Perform unit testing, and peer reviews with other team members to make sure code is rigorously designed, and effectively tuned for performance;
- Serve as Darden Data Lab administrator, monitor usage and maintain awareness of incremental usage costs;
- Provide user training for faculty and researchers to navigate and work within the Darden Data Lab environment(s);
- Become a data domain expert for all research data in the Azure environment;
- Led by faculty, develop experimental and predictive models to support faculty research;
- As directed by faculty, analyze new and existing data after extracting, transforming, and combining it;
- Develop and maintain user-facing documentation for datasets created, and reference material for the Darden Data Lab environment;
- Assist and advise faculty and researchers with integrating Darden Data Lab capabilities into their research analytical processing;
- Collaborate with faculty, a strong social science research team, and a team of developers with deep experience in data management;
- Participate in sprint planning and provide inputs on effort estimation
Professional Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline and at least seven years of relevant experience required. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Knowledge and experience with SQL and data analysis required.
- Highly self-motivated to deliver both independently and with strong team collaboration.
- Strong written and oral communications along with presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong skills in working with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to convey technical guidance and information to users and to provide excellent customer service.
- 5+ years of experience working as a data engineering team member
- 3+ years of experience with writing SQL
- 3+ years of cloud experience in Azure: Azure Data Factory, Azure Databricks, Azure Data Lake, Azure Synapse, Azure DevOps, Azure Machine Learning, and automation experience
- 2+ years of experience with building predictive models
- 1+ years of experience with Spark
- 1+ years of experience with PowerBI
- Familiarity with SSIS, SSAS, SSRS
- Understanding of BI/DW methodology and techniques
This position will remain open until filled. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at
Please apply through Workday, and search for "R0031281". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physicians Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.