REMOTE - 100%
DOC NTIA EL-CID Online
The United States Department of Commerce’s (DOC) National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) is the President's principal adviser on telecommunications and information policy issues. NTIA manages the Federal use of the electromagnetic (EM) spectrum; and performs cutting-edge telecommunications research and engineering, including resolving technical telecommunications issues for the Federal Government and private sector.
NTIA’s Office of Spectrum Management (OSM) manages the EM spectrum for the Federal government in the U.S. and its territories. OSM uses multiple national security systems and unclassified systems to assign frequencies; maintain spectrum use databases; review Federal agencies' new telecommunications systems and certify the availability of spectrum; and provide the technical engineering capabilities needed to perform spectrum resources assessments.
NTIA is in the process of replacing, enhancing and adding to its spectrum systems portfolio to incrementally develop and transform spectrum management processes through improved technologies and architectures, enhanced automation and interoperability across the federal government.
The Software Engineer will develop application code based on requirements in JIRA tickets (stories/bugs) with acceptance criteria. The candidate will be part of an agile team with sprint releases every three weeks. As a member of the agile team, the candidate will participate in the architecture, design, development, testing, and deployment of the system. The candidate will be responsible for assisting with estimate of story points attributable to the requirements, and in assisting other members of the agile team in understanding and coordinating the completion of code. The developer may be asked to contribute to the generation of technical documentation for the EL-CID Online System to be submitted to the government’s Information Assurance (IA) team as a part of the Authority to Operate (ATO) package. In order to write this technical documentation, the software engineer will need to review Java and SQL code to determine functionality as well as acquire information from other system developers.
The EL-CID Online application uses XML and XSLT extensively; the candidate must be strong in XML/XSD/XSLT including an Oracle XML database. The system uses Google Web Toolkit (GWT) for the user interface, Altova Stylevision to create PDFs, Bizflow for workflow, WorldWind and Bing Tile server for maps, and Oracle XML for the database.
- Set up developer environment to run SubVersion (Tortoise), Eclipse, and SQL Developer (or equivalent to connect to Oracle database). Must also have experience with performing software builds using tools such as Jenkins.
- Participate in an agile team to deliver the full lifecycle, including requirements, architecture, design, development, testing and deployment.
- Update stored procedures and triggers in Oracle XML database.
- Incorporate standards and best practices, including performance, security, scalability, and maintainability.
- Review and provide feedback on functional and technical requirements.
- Define and propose solutions for meeting requirements.
- Contribute to improvements in the software development process utilizing practices such as test-driven development (TDD), static code analysis, code reviews, continuous integration, continuous delivery, and automated security scanning.
- Working closely with solutions architect to ensure system design follows the industry best practices and standards.
- Recommending coding solutions for other developers to implement.
- Invest in the software development efficiency of the entire team through teamwork, personal responsibility, and process improvement.
- Provide Operational support expertise. Assist with debugging software in production including analyzing server logs, and performing systematic assessments for identifying root causes of faults or problems.
- Understand production environments including security hardening, performance tuning, and access control.
- Participate in special projects as required.
- Good written and verbal communication skills coupled with strong listening skills.
- Ability to contribute on an individual basis as well as demonstrate your strengths as a team player as a member of an agile team.
- Ability to diagram system using Visio or equivalent – to capture system architecture and the like as needed.
- Ability to write technical documentation where audience is a technical person that has no knowledge of the system.
- Ability to review existing Java code to be able to write a few sentences about each Java class.
- Help with mapping Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIG) controls to Application.
- Help create and maintain system design documents including a software build standard operating procedure (SOP).
- Code developed from JIRA stories adhering to acceptance criteria, with no high vulnerabilities found by tools (SonarQube and HP Fortify)
- System design documentation as required.
- Unit test scripts.
- Completed peer review forms.
Years of experience: Six years of experience and three years specialized experience.
- 5+ years of experience coding in Java
- 4+ years of experience with XSD, XSLT, XML
- 2+ years of experience with Oracle XML
- 3+ years of experience writing Stored Procedures and SQL
- Knowledge of SubVersion, GIT, or Team Foundation Server (TFS) version control system
- 3+ years of experience writing technical documentation
- Knowledge of GWT a plus
- Knowledge of JIRA and Confluence a plus
- Knowledge of radio transmitters and receivers, radar, antennas and satellites a plus (radio spectrum)
- Bachelor’s Degree and three years specific experience, or nine years of general experience with six years of specific experience.
- Secret clearance required to start
Job location is remote; the client is located at the Herbert C. Hoover Building, 1401 Constitution Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC. 20230.