Position: Network Architect
Location: Tustin, CA
The Network Architect position within the NAF’s Technology Services team is a key role responsible for architecture and design of wide area networks, local area networks and remote access to provide connectivity to end users for all applications regardless of location
(on-premises data centers, Azure, AWS, SaaS, Internet, etc.). The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, self-starter and a change agent with experience and desire to drive the organization to modern network technologies enabling zero trust network access.
The Network Architect would engage in architecture definition, planning, technology direction, as well as mentoring of network engineers and administrators. This position will work closely with business groups, vendors, carriers, and other teams to analyze business and technical requirements to identity options, propose recommendations, and associated value propositions, while providing engineering design for implementations. This position will research, evaluate, and recommend new tools and technologies for data networks and assess emerging technologies and make recommendations to management and certify and assist in implementation and support of the enterprise-wide network.
Ideal candidates must possess attention to detail capabilities and adjust quickly to a constantly changing and fast paced environment. Must be familiar with newer architectural concepts and vendors for software defined networking (SDN), secure access services edge (SASE), zero trust network access (ZTNA), etc. Must have strong communication and teamwork skills. Perform duties as assigned on RACI model(s). Must be comfortable working independently but also as part of a team.
- Design complex networks configured with high availability.
- Serve as subject matter expert on routing, switching, firewalls, security, cloud networks, application delivery controller, web application firewall, intrusion prevention, software defined networking and network automation.
- Develop network architectural standards and designs which drive consistent results across the enterprise network.
- Help drive modern architecture throughout the Enterprise IT organization with an emphasis on next generation network connectivity and public cloud infrastructure (Azure, AWS, etc.)
- Act as a trusted advisor with businesses, internal teams, and remote users to ensure processes and tools are in place.
- Create documentation around project requirements, diagrams, run books, test plans, etc. to ensure successful lifecycle management.
- Plan and coordinate the implementation and lifecycle administration of network infrastructure.
- Troubleshoot complex incidents and problems, including escalation to appropriate 3rd party vendor support, to drive root cause analysis.
- Work with the Infrastructure and Software Development teams to ensure the network connectivity meets changing demands.
- Utilize monitoring tools to ensure optimum availability, capacity, and performance of network infrastructure.
- Participate in technical research to enable continuing innovation within the network infrastructure.
- Responsible for researching technology solutions, vendors, products, and associated costs.
- Provide assistance for escalated support cases and peer review for changes from Network Engineering team
- Mentor and help develop network engineers, network administrators and technical teams.
- Participate in on-call duties and after-hours duties.
- Travel to remote offices up to 10% of the time.
- Conduct after-hours maintenance.
- Other duties may be assigned to ensure stability of overall infrastructure.
- Must possess advanced level proficiency in routing, switching and firewalls with nine or more years’ experience.
- Must possess proficiency in network design with four or more years’ experience.
- Must possess proficiency in wireless networks with four or more years’ experience.
- Must possess proficiency in complimentary security controls (WAF, DDOS, micro-segmentation, IDS/IDP, NAC, MFA).
- Strong experience with leading vendors including Cisco, F5, Palo Alto and VMware.
- Must possess network Security experience with various security ecosystem platforms.
- Must possess strong firewall management experience (Multi-vendor Firewalls and VPN)
- Knowledge of application flows, packet capture, and analysis.
- Experience with network monitoring tools.
- Strong understanding of network and security architecture, site reliability engineering, dev ops provisioning
- Experience with scripting, automation, and software defined networking
- Must possess strong troubleshooting skills.
- Must possess 3-4 years of experience building, maintaining, and supporting environments in AWS/AZURE Cloud platforms
- Must possess knowledge of cloud technologies and cloud infrastructure, including networking, VNets, VPCs, VGWs, DNS, load balancing, certificate services, etc.
- Must possess minimum 2 years of experience in design and build of cloud-related network solutions, i.e., private, and public cloud network services incorporating security and compliance.
Education and Certification
- Bachelors’ degree in computer science or a related field.
- CCNP, CCDP, Advanced Network Vendor Certifications (CCIE preferred)
- Azure, AWS Certifications preferred
Must be able to verify identity and employment eligibility to work in the U.S.
This job profile is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and responsibilities, as one may perform additional related duties as assigned in order to meet the needs of the organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to lift up to ten pounds. Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a keyboard; and to verbally communicate to exchange information. VISION: See in the normal visual range with or without correction. HEARING: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
[EOE/M/F/D/V. Drug-free workplace.]