Data Scientist, ACER (Job ID #124329) University of Illinois at Chicago Description:
The Academic Computing and Communications Center is an agile organization, with a collaborative and team centered environment that provides IT leadership, academic technology infrastructure and services at University of Illinois at Chicago. We excel at supporting 40,000 staff, faculty and students across a diverse and comprehensive university in the heart of Chicago. Our services include campus wide networking, teaching and learning, identity and access management, communications, research computing, IT security, application development, web services, compliance and more.
This position collaborates with researchers to develop, execute and interpret research projects involving computable research data. Under the direct supervision of ACER director, provide consultation to primary investigators on data science. In collaboration with the specific PIs, this individual performs complex experiment design, data collection, preprocessing, analysis, and visualization techniques. The data scientist consults with research and clinical faculty on statistical analysis, method design, power analysis, data collection, results reporting, research protocol development and tracking and data management in the context of supercomputing, machine learning and high-performance data analytics. Duties:
- Collaborate with PIs with various research projects at UIC as they relate to research data and data science.
- Advise researchers and ACER leadership on new directions for research based on study results.
- Design tabular and graphical presentations depicting results of analyses and hypothesis testing. Interpret data to discover solutions and opportunities.
- Inform and explain research results to investigators, review draft manuscripts, and verify correctness of results and statistical sections of manuscripts and grant proposals prior to submission for publication or funding.
- Advise scientific community on formulation and design of scientific experiments through the prism of data science. Analyze and evaluate test and research results.
- Replicate, refine and add new research approaches based on project results. Test, customize and implement new data methods, procedures and techniques.
- Monitor project developments on an ongoing basis. Propose and implement changes as needed.
- Assist PIs with grants, manuscript and participate in funded research activities.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- A Master's degree in data science, statistics, informatics, computer science, or a recognized field of science directly related to the data science tasks required for this position. PhD degree is preferred.
- Experience with various statistical analysis techniques, such as analyses of variance, factor analyses, reliability analyses, statistical processes control, linear and hierarchical modeling, etc.
- Significant experience with R software (or SAS or SPSS or STATA).
- Experience with MySQL, Oracle, or other databases.
- Experience with SQL and constructing SQL queries.
- Experience with data management, collection, analysis for both structured and unstructured data.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate with various faculty and members of a comprehensive team.
- Ability to develop positive relationships with new research labs and student community.
- Experience with Python programming language preferred.
For fullest consideration, please complete an online application by clicking the Apply for Position
button below. jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=124329 The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.