The Dean's Office within the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) at the University of Virginia (UVA) seeks applications for Business Intelligence Data Analysts. The School of Engineering and Applied Science consists of 8 departments across the field of engineering. The school has seen tremendous growth in student population and faculty, as well as in its research expenditures in recent years. These positions will support the entire school by focusing on the maintenance and enhancement of an enterprise data warehouse, which integrates data from multiple sources to satisfy the reporting requirements for decision-making.
Consistent with UVA's 2030 "Great and Good" strategic plan, the School of Engineering and Applied Science is committed to supporting our students, faculty, and staff, cultivate the most vibrant community in higher education, to prepare our students to be servant-leaders in a diverse and globally connected world. For more information on the School's Office of Diversity, Equity and Engagement, please visit: https://engineering.virginia.edu/about/diversity-and-engagement
The selected candidates will:
- Develop and maintain reports to support routine operations, e.g. (but not limited to) enrollments, courses taught, degrees awarded, faculty counts, research stats, faculty performance, space management, and school & department budgets.
- Use and promote consistent data usage, data analysis and reporting standards used throughout the school, e.g. (but not limited to) common reports and databases, common graphs, and common dashboards. Ensure that policies governing data management are met, including security and privacy.
- Support the school in university-wide data management efforts, e.g. (but not limited to) data management in IRA, office of advancement, the registrar's office, admissions, research, and finance. This will require familiarity with the data and reports available from University sources outside of the school.
- Be familiar with key data sources external to the University, e.g. (but not limited to) ASEE, Academic Analytics, AAUDE, NSF, IPEDS, and USNews. Organize and incorporate data from these sources as needed to support the school's tactical, strategic, and programmatic decisions.
- Support the development of graphs, reports, and presentations that present data in a way that can be easily and quickly grasped by stakeholders.
- Assist the School's office of advancement with building the donor pipeline by identifying potential annual, major, and principal gift suspects through data mining.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
In addition to the above, these positions will report directly to the Director of Information (IT) Technology and Analytics and will be expected to:
Business Intelligence Data Analyst Qualifications:
- Develop, collect, and maintain routine data and reports.
- Assist in the development of school and university data requirements, architecture, implementation, and maintenance.
- Assist in business and system re-engineering and architecture development.
- Education: Bachelor's degree, Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- At least three to five years relevant experience. Good understanding of relational databases. Proficient with programming language. Intermediate experience with organizing and analyzing large datasets.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Able to learn new software as-required for the position.
- Familiarity and demonstrated expertise using the following, or similar, systems:
- Excel, SQL, Access, or similar systems.
- Tableau, Power BI, or similar systems.
- Data modeling tools, defining and documenting business glossary and data definitions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
For additional information about the position, please contact Lisa Stanton, Engineering Dean's Office Operations Manager, at
Review of Applicants will begin on May 14, 2022. Starting salary commensurate with education and experience. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will not sponsor applicants for work visas. This is an Exempt level, benefited position. For more information on the benefits at UVA, visit hr.virginia.edu/benefits.
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physicians Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.