About Sterling Medical Devices:
Sterling Medical Devices, a provider of custom electro-mechanical and software solutions for the medical device industry, has been dedicated to helping our clients resolve medical device development challenges. Our engineering teams address the whole development process: systems, software, electronics, mechanical, quality, and compliance. Our headquarters, located in Moonachie, NJ, is a casual work environment that engages our team in cutting edge technologies and projects.
Sterling has over 20 years of experience working with doctors, startups, medical device companies and providing solutions for healthcare companies that need to scale up quickly to bring medical device software, hardware, mechanical, and mobile medical device apps to market by successfully navigating the FDA and CE approval process. We design our client’s products with a focus on the user needs and requirements, while making smart design choices based on our extensive and diverse product development experience.
In this role you will be responsible for managing and performing all lab tasks to support the engineering team. Tasks include performing board level debug, hand soldering to rework and repair pcbs, firmware programming of boards and systems, designing and fabricating cable harnesses, light assembly work, hardware testing, shipping and receiving of parts and completed systems, managing test equipment calibration, and installing and configuring test equipment and systems.
- Responsible for assembling, troubleshooting, repairing, and testing electromechanical and electronic equipment
- Tests and characterizes the performance of electromechanical assemblies, using test instruments such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, data acquisition modules, temperature gauges, force gauges, calipers, and other precision measuring equipment
- Creates test fixtures and assembly aides for design and development needs
- Provides skilled mechanical and electrical/electronic support to small batch product manufacturing activities
- Supports the development of test procedures and verification protocols
- Performs verification testing that is mechanical or electrical in nature
- Inspects and tests incoming parts for non-conformities
- Assists and trains other technical-level employees
- Organizes lab spaces and stocks internal supplies/parts
- Maintains and calibrates company equipment
Qualifications & Skills:
- Formal electronics training from technical school, Class A or B military school in electronics or communications, and/or four-year electronics apprenticeship program
- Minimum 2 years of troubleshooting electronic systems experience
- Ability to read mechanical drawings and electrical schematics
- Ability to identify components and explain basic electronic theory of circuits
- Experience with electronics troubleshooting equipment such as DMM, oscilloscope, frequency generator, spectrum analyzer, etc. or comparable electronics experience
- Expertise in soldering fine pitched SMD and thru-hole components on tightly populated pcbs
- Experience with creating wiring diagrams and cable harnesses
- Ability to operate drill presses and other machine tools to fabricate parts
- Skilled in the use of hand and power tools
- Ability to use 3D printers to create test fixtures and tools
- Quick learner
- Self-motivated and a self-starter
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to effectively execute tasks
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative Engineering environment
- Good communication skills
- Proficiency in basic computer use (MS Office) and communication tools
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Sterling Medical Devices (SMD) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SMD does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Local candidates only at this time, please. We do not offer relocation assistance.
No third-party candidates please.