Job Title: Product Manager - Train Control Products
Salary Range: Min: $101,958 Mid: $135,944 Max: $169,930
Hay Points: 805
Dept/Div: IT/ Product Management
Supervisor: Product Director Train Control
Location: 2 Broadway and other locations as required
Hours of Work: 9:00 AM -5: 3 0 PM (7.5 hours /day ) or as required
Posting Closes: Open Untill Filled In order to protect our employees and continue to provide safe and reliable service to our communities, as of November 14, 2021 we are requiring all new MTA hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date. MTA will consider exceptions for religious and medical reasons, where appropriate. "Fully vaccinated" means you must have both doses of a 2-dose vaccine and two weeks have elapsed since the second dose, or have received 1 dose of a 1-dose vaccine and two weeks have elapsed since the dose. Proof of your vaccination status in the form of a CDC vaccine card must be submitted prior to your start date.
The Product Manager - Train Control position is responsible for managing the development, maintenance, support and rationalization of all comprehensive Train Control and Management Systems throughout the New York City Transit (NYCT) Rail Control Center (RCC). Such applications include intra-agency support and upkeep of systems such as Siemens ATS-A, ATS-B, QBP 63rd Street AIM, CBTC-Canarsie, CBTC-QBL, CBTC-Flushing as well as future CBTC initiatives.
The Product Manager
is responsible for developing and maintaining an assigned product or products of MTA applications and/or infrastructure and in essence owns the product life cycle for these products. The Product Manager is responsible for managing technical IT staff assigned to design, build, and maintain one or more application-based and/or infrastructure-based products.
The Product Manager will lead the assigned staff in agile transformation and the digital agenda and develop roadmaps for application and/or infrastructure products assigned. This position will manage a team of technical staff responsible for defining the launch of new products and services, developing technical roadmaps for existing products and delivering product features in an agile environment in the realm of applications within the RCC for NYCT .
The Product Manager is responsible for management, staffing and supervision of the assigned products.
The Product Manager - Train Control position is a mid-level managerial position responsible for supervising various efforts within the Product ManagementTransportation Application Division of the MTA Information Technology Department and would report to the current (L3) - Train Control Product Line Director.
This position supports 24x7 mission critical applications in Rail Control Center and requires immediate response at any hour as well as support planned efforts on late night and weekends.
Responsibilities Enterprise Product Planning
- Lead a team of multi-functional technical staff planning, building, and maintaining application and/or infrastructure products.
- Lead others, as appropriate, and when necessary, that will consist of one or more agile coaches, data analytic researchers and other digital transformation personnel.
Human Resource Management
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness; sustain culture and supporting assigned staff during organizational growth/changes.
- Provide direction on evaluation, selection, implementation, and maintenance of information systems for their assigned products, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems.
- Attract, develop, coach and retain high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control and performance in conjunction with the IT Workforce Planning & Workload Managmeent office.
- Build staff expertise and competence to meet evolving demands within the Enterprise Product Management unit.
Strategy & Planning
- Demonstrate consistent understanding of funding, communications and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the program goals.
- Collaborates with IT Business Management Services to identify procurement contracts to support program related activities.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Assesses and makes recommendations on the improvement and re-engineering within the IT Department and work with the stakeholders at keeping the total cost of ownership down.
- Promote the use of employee self -service and mobile connectivity within products to reduce the reliance of paper.
- Automation of business process creating in-line forms and approvals, reducing the reliance on manual approvals that could be untimely.
- Develops a roadmap for Train Control systems for keeping them in a state of good repair.
- Works with MTA-IT Security to ensure the Train Control systems are in continuous compliance with Cyber Security guidelines and works with MTA-IT Security to evaluate, assess feasibility, prioritize and implementation.
- Develops team skillset, rotation, and planning to respond, troubleshoot and resolve incidents in the mission critical Train Control Systems in the RCC.
- Develops strategies, procedures, and tools to actively monitor the Train Control systems in the RCC.
- Coordinates and facilitates consultation with stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new technology implementations, developing business case and cost justifications for such initiatives.
Management and Oversight
- Provides direction on evaluation, selection, implementation, and maintenance of information systems, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems.
- Advises MTA IT management, as information becomes available, in the changing trends and emerging technology and their potential use within the MTA.
- Directs the development of the analysis required to determine if Information Technology projects should follow a "Build" (develop with in-house staff) or "Buy" (cloud or packaged solution) methodology.
- Manages the development and implementation of new modules within assigned products.
- Advises on the selection, prioritization, development and implementation on products as they relate to the selection, acquisition, development, and installation of MTA IT applications and infrastructure.
- Works with C&D and other stakeholders in acquisition of Train Control systems for NYCT and ensures that the design follows best practices and MTA-IT guidelines and standards.
- Investigates new concepts along with new and emerging Industry techniques and trends with new technologies such as Global Positioning Satellite (GPS), Positive Train Control (PTC), Radio Frequency Identification (RFID), and Signal Systems.
- Participates in overall business planning bringing a current knowledge and future vision of technology and systems as related to the company's goals.
- Responsible for leading and reporting on various product progress and deliverables ensuring that the IT needs of the MTA are met on time and within budget, including identifying weekly, monthly, and annual performance targets to show progress on IT product work.
- Ensure continuous delivery of product services through oversight of service level agreements with end users and monitoring of product performance.
- Responsible for the recruitment, development, motivation, training and retention of a diverse and high performing multi-level IT team professionals, conforming to budgetary objectives and Human Resources policy and programs in conjunction with the IT Workforce Planning & Workload Management office.
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives keeping customizations to a minimum and total cost of ownership down.
- Knowledge of information, mobile, Voice, Cloud and Application Development technologies, and/or Infrastructure technologies.
- Successful track record in design of software systems to meet the current and future needs of a complex transportation organization OR
- Successful track record in design and implementation of IT Infrastructure and related hardware and software technologies to meet the current and future needs of a complex transportation organization
- Verbal/written communications skills
- Financial/budgeting planning and management experience a plus
- Ability to fit in with the constant shifting needs and demands of the business Departments
- Familiarity with Dev/Sec/Ops systems and processes.
- Experience in contract writing and contract management.
- Ability to simultaneously manage and provide guidance to several critical Train Control System systems.
- Strong understanding of business practices and planning and prioritizing parallel efforts.
- Experience in the overall management and maintenance of existing MTA Railroad, Train Movement, Tracking and Control Systems or highly critical operational large systems requiring 24x7 support.
- Experience delivering new concepts along with new and emerging Industry techniques and trends with new technologies such as Global Positioning Satellite (GPS), Positive Train Control (PTC), Radio Frequency Identification (RFID), and Signal Systems.
- Experience implementing systems that utilize large, distributed, and high availability Architecture.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Engineering, Finance, Information Services (or the equivalent of education and progressive responsible experience). Plus a minimum 10 years of Information Technology experience with at least 4 years of progressive IT managerial or leadership experience.
As an employee of MTA Headquarters you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $101,379 (this figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.