About the Role
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a skilled and growing team of engineers to develop our Machine Learning Platform. The team is responsible for building and managing robust distributed systems, and solving infrastructure challenges to democratize Machine Learning, and empower Uber's product engineering and data science teams with the latest technologies in Artificial Intelligence.
This role is located in Seattle but is also available in San Francisco, CA or Sunnyvale, CA.
The team is part of Michelangelo, Uber's Machine Learning Platform. For more information on the Michelangelo team as a whole, see our engineering blog posts:
What You'll Do
- [Meet Michelangelo: Uber's Machine Learning Platform](https://eng.uber.com/michelangelo/)
- [Scaling Machine Learning at Uber with Michelangelo](https://eng.uber.com/scaling-michelangelo/)
- [Meet Horovod: Uber's Open Source Distributed Deep Learning Framework for TensorFlow](https://eng.uber.com/horovod/)
- [Manifold: A Model-Agnostic Visual Debugging Tool for Machine Learning at Uber](https://eng.uber.com/manifold/)
- [COTA: Improving Uber Customer Care with NLP & Machine Learning](http://eng.uber.com/cota/)
- Lead, manage and grow a team of Machine Learning Platform software engineers specializing in infrastructure, high-performance computing and big data technologies
- Develop the vision and technology roadmap for Machine Learning at Uber
- Own the craftsmanship, reliability, and scalability of your solutions
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers on your team, and continuously improve software engineering practices
- Hire top performing engineering talent and maintaining our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Collaborate with and across teams to design, build, and ship reliable systems which scale to Uber's need
- Establish well-defined critical metrics and motivate and manage the team to achieve goals
- Evangelize Machine Learning at Uber
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of total software development experience
- 3+ years of experience in infrastructure, distributed systems, high performance computing and/or Big Data software engineering
- 2+ years of managing individual contributors across all levels
- Experience solving production issues in product and system reliability
- Experienced production user of Deep Learning frameworks such as Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras, etc.
- Significant experience designing and architecting, developing and/or testing software applications
- Outstanding management and team development skills: ability to set a roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, mentor engineers, deliver frequent and transparent feedback, help team members grow in their careers and deliver results.
- Expertise and interest in growing teams: interviewing junior and senior engineers, collaborating with a talent acquisition team, and efficiently onboarding new team members
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in evaluating sophisticated data and projects and providing recommendations to resolve sophisticated technical issues
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form