Title: Sr. Network Engineer
Duration: Contract to Hire
The Sr. Network Engineer position is responsible for the design, deployment and support of the organization's network infrastructure that powers the wired, wireless, and VoIP needs of the client's corporate campus and remote offices. This individual should be familiar with and leverage industry best practices when designing, deploying, configuring, and maintaining enterprise level networks to support data communications.
The Senior Network Engineer works as a member of the Network Services team and is charged to understand the goals/objectives of that team and how it supports those of the Enterprise Architecture and Shared Services Technology division.
Typically, 5+ years of experience
• Extensive knowledge of Cisco Catalyst, Nexus and Meraki network design and best practices.
• Firewall configuration and management, Cisco ASA and FirePower NGFW.
• Network principals including BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, DNS, and NAT.
• Highly knowledgeable of security concepts and protocols such as IPSec, SSL/TLS, IDS/IPS, WAF and DDoS protection.
• Knowledgeable of cloud and hybrid cloud networks especially AWS networking design principles.
• Network monitoring tools such as SolarWinds.
• VoIP communications and unified communications management experience.
• SD-WAN technologies including Meraki a plus.
Bachelor's degree in computer science, or combination of education and experience.
• Cisco or equivalent network certification (CCNP-Enterprise) highly preferred.
• Cisco or equivalent network security certification (CCNA-Security) preferred
• AWS or equivalent cloud certification (AWS-Practitioner) desirable
• ITIL v3 Foundations desirable
Interpersonal Skills Skills needed:
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
• Positive attitude and solutions-oriented thinking.
• Ability to communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to change.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Network design, management, and support
• Serve as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for core networking technologies such as cloud connectivity, routing, core switching, firewall, load balancers and wireless infrastructure.
• Provide inter-team / inter-technology collaboration, design, troubleshooting, and response supporting Compass on-prem and cloud environments
• Design, implement and ensure operational stability of our LAN, WAN, and wireless networking infrastructure to achieve targeted performance, uptime, and reliability.
• Monitor the health of all networking devices, switching environments, WLANs and WAN/Internet circuits leveraging tools like SolarWinds for automated alerting and reports.
• Perform backup and restore testing/validation weekly/monthly/quarterly.
• Provide tier 3 support for incidents related to any technology owned and supported by the Network Services group.
• Demonstrate an understanding of Team Goals, Strategies and Priorities.
• Demonstrate ability and willingness to share ideas with Associates, peers, and management.
• Embrace a coaching culture, provide feedback to Associates, peers, and management.
• Serve as a mentor to provide coaching and technical guidance to Associates.
• Demonstrate a positive attitude and set an example for colleagues.
• Attend regular manager and team lead status meetings and be engaged in meeting discussions and strategic planning.
• Promote cross team collaboration in problem analysis, solution identification, implementation, and delivery activities.
• Collaborate with IT teams and end users to understand project requirements and recommend sustainable solutions that meet defined business needs.
• Demonstrate ability and willingness to mentor Associates to help develop consultancy and customer service skills.
• Recommend potential product, service, and process opportunities by collecting customer requirements and analyzing business needs.
• Actively look to identify opportunities to enhance organizational efficiency.
• Build sustainable relationships of trust through open and interactive communication.
Planning and Organization
• Understand and be able to communicate daily and weekly Goals as assigned by Manager.
• Plan daily and weekly work activities in alignment with established/defined team Goals/Priorities.
• Execute against approved daily and weekly plans and keep leadership informed of work statprogress.
• Independently manage assigned tasks and project components to complete within established timelines.
• Identify and communicate potential business impacts when planning changes to production systems.
• Provide guidance/coaching to Associates to help them enhance the efficiency/effectiveness of their work plans.
• Participate with management and technical teams to establish appropriate project timelines to deliver sustainable solutions within approved time and budget parameters.
• Demonstrate accountability for physical and logical security/integrity in planning for all projects.
• Demonstrate attention to detail.
Information Processing & Decision Making
• Actively look to maximize existing investments and leverage existing systems to solve identified business problems.
• Actively identify and communicate opportunities to automate repetitive manual processes.
• Identify potential impacts of new systems/processes or changes to existing systems/processes and provide technical expertise to ensure operational reliability.
• Apply critical thinking to identify and mitigate risk in the areas of security (physical and logical), sustainability, disaster recovery, and business continuity measures in all solutions.
• Lead Associates and collaborate with cross functional teams, project teams, and institutional leadership teams in root problem analysis, solution identification, implementation, and delivery activities.
• Collaborate with IT teams and internal and external customers to understand project requirements and recommend sustainable solutions that meet defined business needs.
• Evaluate vendor solutions against defined functional/business needs.
• Interpret meaning and importance of information and determine appropriate need and method for keeping team members, customers/stakeholders, and management informed.
• Communicate clearly to technical and non-technical users.
• Keep project, communication, testing, and training documentation updated using defined standards within 3 business days of approved changes.
• Document systems and processes in accordance with defined standards within 3 business days of approved changes.
• Be engaged and participate in individual discussions, project, and team meetings.
• Participate in discussions with IT Management and teams to develop polices and standards.
• Demonstrate critical thinking skills to help lead efforts to diagnose and troubleshoot issues.
• Coordinate with the User Support Services team to identify common issues and develop appropriate documentation, training, and automation.
• Establish working partnerships with IT teams and external partners to coordinate problem resolution for operational issues and analyze root cause issues to address underlying infrastructure problems.
• Lead problem solving exercises by understanding the current state, conducting root problem analysis, solution identification, and then planning implementation and delivery activities.
• Develop "as is" and "to be" diagrams to visually represent challenges, risks, and opportunities for improvements.
• Serve as an escalation point for Associates.
• Use sound judgement to determine the need to escalate issues/tickets to management awareness.
*Perform other duties as required.