The Office of Computing and Information Services (CIS) at the City University of New York (CUNY) support the IT and telecommunications needs of CUNY's 24 colleges. CIS supports enterprise IT and applications; develops new technologies that advance University's core mission; builds, upgrades and maintains the University's network; operates the University's Data Center and help desk; develops disaster recovery and business continuity plans; and leads the CUNYfirst Enterprise Resource Planning Project (ERP), which integrates 25 university systems, covering student administration, financial management, and human resources. Within CIS, the Applications Development unit provides software application development and support for strategic University enterprise applications in support of campus business processes, academic program support, database administration, systems integration and interfaces with the inclusion of the CUNYfirst project.
Reporting to the Development Manager, the iOS / Android Mobile Applications Developer will lead mobile applications development in both iOS and Android mobile platforms to be used by the University community supporting over 300,000 students.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Architect, design, develop, test and debug mobile applications in both iOS and Android platforms.
- Responsible for continued development and maintenance including upgrades of MyInfo mobile application used by students to access information about their class schedules, required textbooks, program plan, academic calendar, academic holds, school maps, and personal information including emergency contacts.
- Collaborates with application owners to integrate new features and enhancements to mobile applications.
- Investigates and resolves application issues and bottlenecks.
- Serves as a technical mobile application development expert and participates with business process owners and CIS teams in application design sessions.
- Researches and recommends trends in the information technology areas geared towards enhancing the academic experience of the student community.
- Ensures mobile applications are designed to ensure compliance with security policies and data integrity is maintained.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Highly experienced developing mobile applications in both iOS and Android environments.
- Extensive understanding of iOS and Android mobile development: programming, application architecture, and best practices.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of software engineering practices and techniques, technology trends, and working knowledge of mobile solutions design.
- Familiarity with Apple iTunes and Google Play mobile app distribution processes.
- Experience developing applications utilizing Xcode, Interface Builder, Android Developer Studio and Eclipse.
- Expertise identifying and resolving compatibility issues.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical, evaluative, and research skills to resolve issues in a responsive manner.
- Ability to work productively as an individual contributor and collaboratively as a team member in a fast-paced, time-sensitive, customer-responsive, and team-oriented environment.