World Wide Technology has an impactful opportunity for a Java Application Developer to join our Government Services Team on a multi-year, fully funded program supporting the Department of Homeland Security. Using Agile Methodologies, the mission of this program is to obtain greater integration, automation and efficiencies. In this role you will support, through innovation and transformative processes, the men and women charged with safeguarding the American people and enhancing the Nation's safety, security, and prosperity!
Serve as an Agile Scrum team member providing software development and maintenance for the delivery of releasable software in short sprint cycles. Responsible for activities associated with delivery of software solutions associated with customer-defined systems and software projects by working in close collaboration with software developers/engineers, stakeholders, and end users within Agile processes.
- Provide software support to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for the Enterprise Geospatial Information Services (eGIS) System. eGIS is a web deployed application designed to provide the DHS with the very latest enterprise-level geospatial services in support of daily business processes and activities. Commercial software used includes Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) ArcGIS Server, Microsoft SQLServer and Oracle Databases.
- Designing, developing and implementing custom software and database application capabilities for a variety of legacy and modernized systems with limited oversight
- Acting as a member of a product team supporting teammates and collaborating with a do what it takes attitude to ensure product and team success
- Providing improvements to the product(s) being supported
- Actively participate in release and sprint planning, artifact creation, sprint testing, regression testing, demonstrations and retrospectives and solution releases
- Supporting release planning with conceptual design and development / refinement of software engineering guidelines
- Analyzing complex project-related problems and creating innovative solutions involving, scheduling, technology, methodology, tools and solution components
- Ensuring product quality and timeliness of work, providing advice and guidance, resolving problems
- with the ability to pass DHS background investigation, criteria include but are not limited to:
- 3 year check for felony convictions
- 1 year check for illegal drug use
- 1 year check for misconduct such as theft or fraud
- College degree (B.S.) in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Management Systems or a related discipline. Equivalent professional experience will be considered in lieu of degree
- Professional Experience: at least seven (7) years related technical experience, with software design, development and implementation in a Windows Environment
- This individual will be responsible for design, development, and implementation of software as a member of the eGIS software development team. Core responsibilities include software development and integration and writing complex database queries. The position requires development of software modules to run on Windows platforms, software bug fixes, software and system troubleshooting and general support for deployed systems. Candidates require good communication skills and enjoy working in a team environment.
- Develop software modules in Java and Angular to run on Windows platforms. Development experience in a Cloud environment a plus. Write custom queries and develop scripts in both SQLServer and Oracle. Provide technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, and practicable, and consistent with organization objectives. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions.
- Object oriented design and development (OODD) expertise, Service Oriented Architecture (SOA)
- Communicating OODD and SOA principles and best practices
- Working on unusually complicated problems and providing solutions that are highly creative and ingenious, exhibiting ingenuity, creativity, and resourcefulness
- Acting independently to expose and resolve problems
- Experience with source code control systems and concurrent development workflows (Git preferred)
- Experience using SQL or PL/SQL to access Oracle, MySQL, or SQL Server databases
- Experience with data base design
- Additionally, familiarity with any of the following is highly desirable: HTML, Spring, VMware, ETL tools, ESB, message queuing, application security, automated testing, UML, VersionOne, Jira, or Sparx Enterprise Architect
*Remote opportunity for qualified candidate*
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is more than a commitment at WWT – it is the foundation of what we do. Through diverse networks and pipelines, we have a clear vision: to create a Great Place to Work for All. We believe inclusion includes U. Be who U are at WWT!