Please review the job details below.
Maxar is currently seeking a Manager of Avionics Engineering to join our team in Palo Alto (remote work okay). In this role, you will report into the Avionics Subsystem Director and be responsible for leading an engineering team responsible for Avionics subsystem design, analysis, and hardware procurement.Responsibilities:
In this role, you will have organizational responsibilities including all Avionics subsystem design, analysis, and hardware procurement to support program, proposal, and IRAD needs.
- Lead team around uses and interactions between Wirelists, Command & Telemetry Databases, and Flight Software
- Work with various types of data buses utilized for space applications, such as 1553, RS-485, RS-422, or CAN bus
- Work with system-level spacecraft architecture, and how the Avionics subsystem works together with other subsystems
- Resolve issues during Assembly, Integration, and Test (AIT) phases
- Provide on-orbit support
- Develop new technologies aligned with tech roadmap
- Manage and collaborate with suppliers for hardware procurement
- Mentor, train, and develop team members in new technical and project management skills
- Continuously improve the way we work through creating/updating processes, elimination of non-value added steps, and adapting to the needs of program type
Measurements of Success:
- Maintain budget per program and Independent Research and Development (IRAD) budget
- Hire, train, and maintain sufficient qualified staff
- Resource allocation for personnel not dedicated to a program
- Perform design and analysis for Avionics subsystem
- On-time delivery of subsystem deliverables
What we look for in a Leader:
- Maintain cost within Annual Operating Plan (AOP) budget
- Adequate staffing on all projects (Programs, Business Development, IRAD)
- Maintain schedules by meeting customer need dates
- Meet subsystem performance requirements
As a people leader at Maxar, we expect you to demonstrate the following key leadership qualities at all times: Honesty, Integrity, Loyalty, Curiosity and Courage.
All leaders at Maxar align their actions with our Maxar leadership framework which is built on 3 factors: Personal Grit, Team Engagement & Business focus.
To be successful in driving Transformation, you must specifically apply:
- Personal Grit: Recognize situations when priorities shift and adjust to maintain perspective. Act as a role model in challenging situations, managing your own emotions and believing in the capacity of all team members to learn and grow.
- Team Engagement: Lead with empathy and concern or others' physical and mental health, and focusing on team member needs for inclusion, development and growth.
- Business Focus: Maintain a business focus, and continuing to honor our commitments to customers, partners and employees with a view to the future.
- Strategic decision making: Make good and timely decisions that keep the program moving forward
- Financial Acumen: Understand the financial aspects of decisions being made and uses that information in the decision making process
- Communicate Effectively: Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Build effective teams: Build strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
- Drive for results: Consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances
- Manage Complexity: Make sense of complex, high quantity and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Courage: Step up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said
- Develop Talent
- Make Quality Decisions
- Cultivate Innovation
- Drive Engagement
- Demonstrate Resourcefulness
- Exhibit Interpersonal Savvy
Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- or permanent resident
- Bachelor's degree in aerospace/electrical/mechanical engineering, physics, business, or related area. Four additional years of experience may be substituted for a degree.
- Minimum of 10 years related work experience
- Excellent communication skills along with the ability to effectively collaborate with cross functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to lead, mentor, and develop direct reports