Please review the job details below.
Maxar is currently seeking a Senior Composite Manufacturing Engineer to join our Composites team in Palo Alto, CA. We have an amazing team, coordinating and overseeing all areas of composite production and we are looking for an engineer to specifically support a number of high-visibility composite technology projects with proven product engineering and project management experience.Life with UsYour Project
: The composite technology department is responsible for production of aerospace quality hardware which adheres to the highest of quality standards. As Maxar continues to pivot from primarily commercial effort to include civil and national programs, the number of high-visibility projects being managed by the department is increasing. In this role, you will manage the various details surrounding these multi-disciplinary projects. Your Career:
We are serious about professional development and continuing education at Maxar. We offer our team members the opportunity to define their own career trajectory. This position allows for access to and hands-on experience with all aspects of composite production, including each of the various product lines supported from within the department. Our group has amazing resources to support learning and development. You will work with your manager to set goals and design a development plan to advance your career based on your experiences and desired direction.What We Offer
: Time for dedicated professional development, conference attendance, industry training opportunities, peer group collaboration, education reimbursement and student loan forgiveness.What you'll do day-to-day:
- Gain exposure and general manufacturing engineering experience in a production aerospace composites environment, delivering space qualified flight hardware to multiple organizations within Maxar and to customers around the world.
- Quickly integrate and support a number of high-visibility projects within the department; initially providing high-level conceptual support, but eventually following and managing the project through production and delivery to our customers
- Identify manpower requirements, forecast cost impacts, coordinate outside support, and manage schedules for designated projects
- Provide direct engineering support to the composite technician staff for assigned projects to maintain quality and schedule integrity.
- Participate in costing efforts and cost account management activities for various projects within scope of responsibility
- or permanent resident
- Bachelor's degree in manufacturing engineering, composite engineering, industrial technology, industrial management, or a related field. Four addtional years of experience may be substituted for a degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a production environment including project management and manufacturing process definition activities
Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Possess strong writing skills. Able to define and document processes, author and release composite manufacturing instructions, training programs
- Ability to use process problem solving methodologies, i.e., value engineering, Six Sigma, lean manufacturing, Kaizen, etc.
- Possess strong communication and collaboration skills. Able to address various audiences and clearly communicate ideas and concepts. Able to incorporate feedback and accept input received
- Able to identify problems and take initiative to create a solution with acceptance from relevant stakeholders. Able to both generate new processes for new efforts and improve upon existing processes, taking ownership of process development and documentation
- Able to take initiative and operate independently within broadly defined responsibilities and directions
- Possess experience or knowledge of some of the basic manufacturing engineering functions, including but not limited to- understanding application of ASME Y14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and tolerance principles, familiarity with machining processes, able to perform engineering drawing reviews, understanding of engineering requirements
- Experience in composite manufacturing
- Experience with project management tool (MS Project or equivalent)