Please review the job details below.
Maxar is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join us in our Palo Alto, CA location. In this role, you will support the designs of hi-reliability spacecraft electrical units addressing challenging constraints with mass, thermal, and electronic packaging. Designs must reject waste heat to keep components within temperature constraints in the varied thermal environment of space. Vibration and pyro shock loads during launch and separation introduce additional challenges to units which must be addressed as efficiently as possible. In this role, you will perform mechanical design, thermal and structural analysis in support of new products, as well as support the development and qualification and environmental testing.Responsibilities
- Design, analysis, and qualification of complex hi-reliability spacecraft electronics and radiofrequency (RF) components.
- Work with mechanical packaging, layout, mounting and testing.
- Perform thermal, mechanical, fatigue, and structural analyses.
- Conduct environmental test (thermal cycling, vibration, and pyroshock).
- Develop and/or direct mechanical tests of components and assemblies (thermal, vibration, and pyroshock).
- Mentor and lead more junior engineers in product design heritage, methodology, and test philosophies.
- Develop processes, models, and templates for staffing, costing, and schedule definition for unit development and maintenance. Develop new analysis tools and techniques when required.
- Ensure standards for key product development processes are defined and followed for engineering, design, analysis and testing. Ensure these standard processes are uniformly adhered to and followed.
- Lead and assist other engineers, as applicable, in the resolving hardware challenges in a timely, cost effective and technically acceptable manner to meet performance and mission assurance standards and objectives.
- Skilled at DFx (design for cost, design for manufacturing, design for test).Ensure designs include a balanced approach to optimize performance, assembly, integration, and unit-level test.
- Develop tooling necessary to assemble and test units consistent with mission assurance constraints for hi-reliability space hardware.
- Ensure technical risks and opportunities are identified, appropriate risk mitigation plans and action plans are put in place, and risks are retired to meet programmatic timelines.
- Work effectively with internal, and when necessary external, customers to understand product needs.
- Accept responsibility and accountability for project tasks and milestone achievement commensurate with spacecraft program needs.
- Ensure processes and practices are defined consistent with the organization being a 'learning organization'.
- or permanent resident.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or related field. Four additional years of
experience may be substituted for a degree.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.
- Working knowledge, hands on, with Creo, WindChill and Team Center.
- Familiarity with applicable aerospace industry standards and best practices.
- Ability to perform trade studies to optimize technical performance, mass, power, thermal, cost, schedule, and risks to meet product and programmatic needs.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external customers, key suppliers and team members in both oral and written form.
- Demonstrates effective presentation skills.
- Ability to adapt fluidly to new information, changing constraints, new requirements, and personnel assignments.
- Ability to accommodate occasional travel.
Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Master's or PhD degree in Engineering or Physics.