Information Technology Services (ITS) Office Of Enterprise Solutions Engineering
Senior Technical Business Analyst IT Project Specialist
The Department of Social Services (DSS) is comprised of the administrative units of the New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA) and the Department of Homeless Services (DHS). HRA is dedicated to fighting poverty and income inequality by providing New Yorkers in need with essential benefits such as Food Assistance and Emergency Rental Assistance. DHS is committed to preventing and addressing homelessness in New York City by employing a variety of innovative strategies to help families and individuals successfully exit shelter and return to self-sufficiency as quickly as possible.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is DSS’s technology services organization. ITS mission is to support the daily, emergent, and long-term needs of both agencies. ITS creates and enhances the technology infrastructure and computer applications that support HRA and DHS and develops applications, including a variety of client eligibility and recertification systems, case management systems, housing systems, employment/work engagement services, revenue producing computer matches, claiming systems, and personnel systems.
The Office of Enterprise Solutions Engineering within ITS consists of five divisions – DHS Technology, HRA Technology, DSS Technology, External Agency Technology, and Quality Assurance – that supports the analysis, design, development, testing, and implementation of hundreds of web and mobile applications, which run on Linux and Windows Servers and are hosted in a hybrid cloud and on premises data center. Additionally, this office maintains agency-wide Imaging repository containing over a billion client-related documents.
The DHS technology unit within the Office of Business Solutions is responsible for creating and/or purchasing Commercial Off the Shelf (COTS) web and mobile applications required to support the agency’s mission of preventing and addressing homelessness. The unit is also dedicated to the testing of administrative systems that it either develops or purchases, as well triaging and responding to data and analytics request necessary to monitor and report on key performance indicators such as capacity, census, and critical incidents occurring in the shelter system. Many of the applications from the DHS technology unit, communicate with both internal and external systems and platforms like the NYC Opportunity Common Client Index, NY State Welfare Management System (WMS), and other diverse data sources. This unit is responsible for maintaining standard frameworks for designing and developing web and mobile applications.
Under executive direction of the Assistant Deputy Commissioner for DHS Technology, with wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgment, and decision-making, the Senior Technical Business Analyst for DHS Technology combines IT expertise in requirement gathering and elucidation with in-depth business knowledge to manage major areas within the application development lifecycle, from design to development, quality assurance, user acceptance testing, deployment and maintenance support, with great ingenuity.
Information Technology Services (ITS) / Office of Business Solutions / DHS technology is recruiting for five (5) IT Project Specialist, to function as Senior Technical Business Analysts, who will:
• Determine system efficiencies, features, and functionalities for a variety of administrative systems
such as those used to conduct shelter and subsidy offer inspections, to create agency reports on
key performance indicators, and to track shelter client exits into the community by liaising with end-users across multiple program and business units. Efficiently integrate new systems, programs,
and applications with business operations and services. Gather business requirements and turn
them into groomed user stories for development. Develop wireframes and mockups of new features and functionalities.
• Perform system analyses on database, web and mobile applications, and web services specific to
the DHS Technology portfolio. Develop end user acceptance test scenarios. Analyze and improve
performance of mobile and web-based systems.
• Develop written formal and informal documentations such as presentations, functional design
document, non-functional requirements document that illustrate specific system features, for a
variety of ITS and non-ITS audiences. Coordinate, track, and report on progress being made on
project tasks across any of the systems, to management, stakeholders, and relevant teams.
• Conduct demonstrations of new features and functionalities, to ensure end-user proficiency with new and existing systems, programs, and applications across departments.
• Provide day-to-day support to various project teams including those working on the agency’s
rehousing management system (HOME), shelter management system (CARES), system to validate
that a particular hosing offer for a city subsidy has no existing violations (Inspections web) and asset management system (EAM).
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering, human computer interaction, interactive media, digital and graphics design, data visualization, communication or a related field, and four years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the area(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or
2. An associate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering, human computer interaction, interactive media, digital and graphics design, data visualization, communication or a related field, and six years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the area(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or
3. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, and eight years of satisfactory full-time experience related to the area(s) required by the particular position and a specialization in a relevant technology, process, methodology and/or domain; or
4. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1", "2", or "3" above.
• Extensive practical experience delivering on technical business analysis in an agile setting and for a
social services industry.
• Advanced knowledge and experience with using the following tools Visio, JIRA, Axure or Balsamiq,
SQL or Oracle.
• Demonstrated experience providing technical Business analysis support on any one or more of the
following: Commercial off the Shelf (COTS), web applications designed in .NET and Angular, mobile
applications designed in React native, and web applications designed in Curam and Angular.
• Experience with advising end users on technical approaches for a solution and negotiating on
aspects of the requirements that may not prove useful for the desired solution.
• Excellent ability facilitating end-user proficiency on systems, programs, and applications and
ensuring optimal system functionality via multiple rounds of testing.
• Ability to build partnerships across multiple stakeholders, including the business end users and IT
divisions such as Infrastructure and Operations and Service Management.
• Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, planning, and execution skills; verbal and written
communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts and technologies to business
leaders and business concepts to the IT workforce.
New York City Residency is not required for this position.
Salary Range: $75,000.00 - $118,000 (Annual)
New York City offers an excellent and comprehensive benefits package.
For consideration, please go to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov and search for Job ID # 460214 to apply.
SUBMISSION OF A RESUME IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE AN INTERVIEW.
HRA/DSS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.