Apex Systems has an immediate opportunity for a skilled Systems Administrator to support one of our top technology clients in Ashburn, VA. This is a great way to get your foot in the door with a globally recognized tech and transportation brand!
Please find the details below and send in your resume to apply! System Operations/Administrator II Overview:
We are seeking an IT professional with strong communications, problem-solving and technical skills to help with day to day hardware repair systems operations. Systems Operations / Administrators are responsible for troubleshooting, repairing and ensuring the server fleet is operating at its maximum capacity. As a member of this dynamic team of system administrators, you will be responsible for monitoring your task queue to identify tickets that require additional assistance from your expertise.
As part of a Systems Operations team, you will work in a local datacenter interfacing directly with the datacenter operations team to assist in providing post hardware repair support to ensure hardware gets validated and returned back to the production fleet. As an autonomous, go-getter, you will be required to take initiative and drive leadership representing the System Operations team in the datacenter. As a System Administrator, you will be responsible for:
The ideal System Administrator will also have:
- Managing your ticket queue, troubleshooting hardware failure issues, applying appropriate repair steps and validating hardware to send them back out to production fleet
- Identify code related problems in the validation process, and create tickets for the appropriate team to implement a fix
- Communicate extensively with the datacenter operations teams working hand in hand resolving hardware issues
- Some code review for bugs, identify code related problems in the automated validation process, implementing resolutions where feasible, and creating tickets in both Service NOW and Jira for appropriate teams to resolve
- Maintain and contribute technical documentation, troubleshooting manuals and run books to an internal wiki
- Continuously review, learn and understand internal services and tools that apply to our IT workflows
- Provide mentoring and training when necessary to the DC Operations team
- Jira and Service Now experience (can train)
- Familiar experience with hardware from vendors like, Dell, Quanta, HPE, Wiwynn and Supermicro
- Familiar with vendor utilities like HP's iLO, Dell's iDRAC and AMBIOS BIOS interface
- Hands on working knowledge of Linux, Debian preferred
- Resourcefulness and problem-solving aptitude
- Computer Science, Computer Hardware Engineering education, or at least five years in the industry
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Must be detail-oriented and a well-organized self-starter
- Can be open to constructive criticism
- Ability to explain complicated hardware issues, hardware configurations and BIOS configurations
- Fantastic problem-solving skills, especially related to server hardware
- Ability to take ownership of issues that arise from various hardware and software problems and follow them to resolution
- Proven experience as a System Operator or Administrator or similar role
- Scripting is desirable in BASH, Python or Go programing
- Familiar with automated booting in a Linux environment
- Familiarity with automation tools, such as Jenkins, Docker, Ansible, etc.
- Familiarity with the Google suite of tools, including Sheets, Docs, etc.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at or