Skyrocket Ventures is a recruiting firm for hundreds of high growth technology companies that range from industry leaders to top-tier startups. This opportunity is with one of our client companies for a full-time permanent hire. Please only apply if you are authorized to work in the U.S.
Please note that even if this job is not a perfect match, we encourage you to apply as long as it is in the ballpark. Companies are often flexible in hiring candidates who do not perfectly fit their written job description, as long as the most important qualifications are there and the candidate is good in general.
Most of the jobs we are recruiting for are not posted online, so if you would like to know of all the opportunities we have that match your interests and qualifications, then please get in touch with us.
After you apply to this job posting, we’ll consider you for this job as well as any other potential matches with our client companies. If we have any potential matches, we’ll share your resume with those companies and contact you about any interview opportunities we can get you.
Thank you, and we wish you a great job search!
Feel free to check out testimonials from some of our many candidates/clients here:
Principal Backend Engineer - Social Gaming
Location: you can either work remotely or in the company's office in San Jose.
Engineers at the company work an average of roughly 45 hours/week; it is not a sweat shop like stereotypical gaming companies, but it is not a 9-5 job either.
The company is founded by industry leaders in the gaming space who previously created one of the largest online gaming platforms in the world. The company’s product focuses on community, chat / text messaging, and social gaming. The product is for mobile only now and is in the process of expanding to a desktop product that will be on equal footing with the mobile products.
The company raised a seed round of funding in 2016 and now has 6 years of runway. Revenues have been growing rapidly even during the recession. The company has about 30 employees and 24 engineers.
In this position, you would be programming in Go. Experience in Go is not required; the company seeks candidates who are language agnostic. The company emphasizes using the latest technologies that will be the best for whatever they are building, so while today it would be Go, tomorrow it could be something else.
The company will pay very competitive salary; they are targeting a base salary of $300k with total cash compensation of $350-400k. They can go even higher for the right person. They are also providing equity which could be valuable.
- Primarily (95%) programming in Go / Golang.
- Extending the multiplayer game and chat platform.
- Architecting, developing, refactoring, and maintaining components across the entire backend stack, providing a collection of services for other platform components to utilize, as well as our mobile clients.
- Independently seeking better ways to do things, providing technical leadership to others, and demonstrating successful results.
- Working in a small, fast-paced startup environment and being completely hands-on.
- Considering full stack concerns as you develop backend service for many mobile app clients.
- Contributing to the operations team as y ou keep the service running constantly.
- Experience building high scalability, high performance, consumer grade software with at least 1 million users.
- Passion for games.
- Willing to learn (if necessary) and primarily use Go / Golang.
- Demonstrated mastery in at least one of these languages: 1) Golang, 2) C++, 3) C, 3) Rust, 4) Java, 5) Python, 6) Ruby, 7) PHP.
- Experience working in a small company where everyone does everything you have to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty.
- Strong interest in optimization for speed and size.
- Skilled in creating clean, precise code.
- Linux systems experience at the network and system level, with knowledge of things such as epoll and TCP handshakes.
Nice to have:
- Experience with system level networking
- Gaming industry experience.
Did you like this job or want to see more? All of our online job postings can be found on these sites:
Follow us on Instagram here:
Follow us on LinkedIn here: