[caption id="attachment_2679" align="aligncenter" width="618"] Google Analytics has undergone some changes.[/caption] Google is completely abandoning its old version of Google Analytics in favor of a new version with additional features. Those new features, the company claims, were developed as a result of user feedback. “It’s been a long journey to this point, and we hope you’ll find value in all of the features that the new version of Google Analytics features,” Paul Muret, director of engineering for Google Analytics, wrote in a July 17 posting on the official Google Analytics blog. “The new version has been completely rebuilt on a more powerful platform that lets us move faster and develop more amazing features.” Those features include Real-Time, which offers a view into the immediate impact of online campaigns and other events on Website engagement; Social Reports, which lets users gauge the performance of social-marketing initiatives; and Mobile Reports, which collects data from mobile devices (including how AdWords campaigns engage with the Website). The new Google Analytics version also offers Content Experiments, which, according to Muret’s posting, enables users “to show different versions of a page to different visitors” and measure the results of each in order to determine “the most effective version.” Multi-Channel Funnels provides monitoring of marketing channels used to find a Website. Self-service analytics tools such as Google Analytics have an increasing place in businesses that want more data insights, in order to make better decisions, but lack highly trained data analysts and/or sophisticated toolsets for peering into massive volumes of information. Although the number of self-service tools is on the rise, there’s still a pressing need for analysts with the training to mine insights. “While newer technologies are in play for capturing and massaging big data, further down the line, the need for business analyst analytics is greater than ever,” Neil Raden, a vice president and principal analyst at Constellation Research, wrote in the summary to a June research note. “In the past, the B.I. calculus more or less ended with informing people. Today, it is action supported by deep insight that is demanded.” However, even the most deep-pocketed organization can only hire so many trained analysts. Because of that, there’s still a significant need for B.I. tools that are specifically self-service. Research firm Forrester recommends that business workers carry out roughly 80 percent of all an organization’s B.I. requirements, leaving IT pros and analysts to handle the other 20 percent; that way, data can still be mined in a more timely (and perhaps less stressful) manner.   Image: Google