Pentaho offers open-source business intelligence software with a variety of functions, including data mining and analytics reporting. Its B.I. platform includes an OLAP engine known as Mondrian, a machine-learning language for particular types of analytics (Weka), and the Kettle data-transformation engine—and that’s just a portion of its total collection of projects. Pentaho’s diverse range of offerings earns it an equally diverse range of customers, making the company a solid barometer of what trends are currently gripping the analytics industry—and that’s exactly what it did, running an analysis on its second-quarter sales to see what drove its customers to embrace a data-analytics solution. Many of its findings are wholly unsurprising. More than 70 percent of its new customers in the quarter deployed Apache Hadoop, an increasingly popular framework for helping data analysts and IT departments with scalable batch processing. That remaining 30 percent was split between NoSQL and analytic databases (MongoDB and Cassandra in the former case, Greenplum and Vertica in the latter). That expanding Hadoop ecosystem is also helping drive adoption. Pentaho also found that the developer community was driving much of the current spate of data-analytics adoption—not a huge surprise. It also found that data analytics were being applied to a wide span of projects, including mobile apps, gaming, security, and finance. Another driver was the simplicity of new analytics tools arriving on the market. “Although initially, the complexity of big data technology was an obstacle for many companies,” read the company’s statement on the matter, “the growth of tools that simplify complex scripting, programming and integration jobs is making it more accessible to a wider audience of non-developers.” Mobile devices, and an increased reliance on the cloud, also helped drive analytics adoption. This is a trend that’s cropped up in other reports and surveys over the past few quarters: more workers on the road want access to advanced data-analytics applications on their smartphones and tablets, which in turn is compelling developers and IT vendors to create those apps. Those interested in finding out more about Pentaho can check out the SourceForge interview with its co-founders, posted a few months ago on SlashBI.   Image: Alex Mit/