U.S. News and World Report
uses average salary, predicted job prospects and a quantitative assessment of the job satisfaction of active and past professionals to create its annual list of the best careers
. As usual, several IT jobs made the top 25 and the publication also names the top six careers in the science and technology field
The Top 25
- Software Developer came in at number two boasting an average salary of $54,360 to $87,790. The publication cited constant technology changes as a job challenge but, also a reason for the high demand.
- DBA was number five and offers an average salary of $41,570 to $115,660. Job growth in this segment has been well-reported and there are numerous courses and tools to support budding professionals.
- Web developer took the sixth spot based upon projected growth of 65,700 jobs before 2020 and Freelancer.com recently documented the growth across a variety of Web-related jobs. The average salary range for Web developers by the way is $43,190 to $119,940.
- Computer systems analyst ranked seventh with a projected salary range of $48,360 to $119,070.
- Computer programmer was number nine on the list and pays $40,820 to $114,180 for a role that requires just a two-year degree but the desire for life-long learning.
Best Careers in Science and Technology
No. 1-Software Developer
No. 2-Database Administrator
No. 3-Web Developer
No. 4-Computer Systems Analyst
No. 5-Computer Programmer
No. 6-Civil Engineer