Looking for a job posting template for Systems Engineer jobs that can help you attract top talent? We’ve got you covered. Use this free systems engineer job description sample template to assist you in finding the most qualified and experienced Systems Engineer to support your company’s needs—and make the hiring process easier on you, too. Just post this template to our site and make necessary edits to highlight your company’s specific requirements and offerings.
Hiring other positions? Check out our job description template library.
- Average Time to Fill: 45 days
- 10-Year Projected Growth: 9.3%
- Associated Skills: Linux, VMware, Virtualization, Python, Microsoft Azure
Systems Engineer Job Summary:
We’re in search of a Systems Engineer who’s both efficient and skilled at building and maintaining computing infrastructures. You’ll be working alongside our IT and software engineering teams to design and set up our network, then manage our system architecture, software and hardware needs. In addition to ensuring our infrastructure is optimized to run at peak performance, you’ll also need to be cognizant of our security needs, including implementing top-level failsafes to protect our systems. Things move fast here, but we’ll need you to move faster, displaying solid technical competency, instinctive business acumen, and a strong understanding of how to design, develop and integrate complex systems that propels our company into the future, and supports our customer needs.
Systems Engineer Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage, monitor, and oversee the development and implementation of the next generation of our networking and computing infrastructure.
- Testing, configuring and maintaining all operating systems, system management tools and application software.
- Effectively troubleshoot bottlenecks and other technical issues before they become problems, offering strong solutions that support our infrastructure and strengthen our security.
- Work in conjunction with developers and other team members to conduct necessary fixes, designing informational and operational support systems.
- Develop and lead Systems Engineer team.
- Provide documentation detailing the design, maintenance and support of our infrastructure for IT support staff.
- Manage the highest possible level of systems and infrastructure availability by optimizing hosts and servers.
- Managing our security needs, data backups and redundancy strategies using best practices.
- Create custom scripts to automate processes, support efficiency and reduce system downtime.
- Offer 2nd and 3rd level support as required.
- Liaise between our vendors and the IT team, communicating any issues and project advancements to management and stakeholders.
- Stay current with industry trends and offer suggestions that can support faster business processes.
Systems Engineer Skills/Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems or a related field.
- Certification as an Expert Systems Engineering Professional (ESEP), Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP), and/or Associate Systems Engineering Professional (ASEP) a plus.
- Strong experience with installing, configuring, troubleshooting, performance tuning and monitoring UNIX/Linux-based infrastructures.
- Experience working with application stacks such as JBoss, NGINX, Apache, Tomcat.
- Fluent in scripting languages such as Ruby, Perl, Python, etc., and using them to set up software automation.
- Fluent in current technologies and equipment, with strong knowledge of recovery procedures and enterprise backup.
- Experience working with active directories and system performance-monitoring tools.
- Experience working with automation software such as Chef, Puppet or CFEngine.
- Strong cloud experience in AWS and/or Microsoft Azure; certification in AWS a plus.
- Strong understanding of various programming languages and operating systems.
- More than two years working as a Systems Engineer (or similar role).
- Strong understanding of virtualization, content delivery, HTTP traffic and caching.
- Experience in GIT or a similar Version Control system.
- Strong knowledge in networking technologies such as TCP/IP and OSI network layers.
- Experience in virtualization and containerization using Virtual Box or VMware.
- Experience in application design and integration, and building, analyzing and fixing large-scale distributed systems.
- Exceptional at troubleshooting and problem solving, with a solutions-oriented mindset.
- Highly organized with project management skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
Start Hiring Today
Need tech talent for your team? Cut your time-to-hire with easy access to millions of tech candidates. Contact sales now